Saturday 26 September 2020

FORCED BEES OUT OF PROPERTY

For agriculturists, this is unbelievable. I was keeping bees on a property which was not mine for the last 4 years here in Mukono since 2015. When i moved from Wampiti in search for a job, i ended up in Mukono District (Central Uganda). And when i arrived here, i saw a big portion of land that was dormant. So I requested the owner of the land to allow me keep a few beehives while i live in Mukono. And fortunately, the guy allowed me to install my bees on his land.
I installed my hives. I am so grateful the bees never disappointed me, they were giving me dark honey [Read about syrup honey in a separate post on this blog] every season. When the owner of the property decided to start using the land to grow maize (corn) and beans, he feared bees and requested me to take away the hives. He did not consider how much production he would get out of his 8 acres of land if he let the bees be part of his project and help on pollination. You cannot believe that when i took away the bees, it is no longer easy to see bees in the area! At the end of the season, his harvest were lower than he had anticipated. Of course i was not give chance to explain to him during the time he was forcing the bees out of his property, but later he realized it by himself and asked me to bring the hives back to the property.
I told him it was late!
I donated the hives to people who own big portions of land. And they are now beekeepers too.
Guess what? He told me he is going to begin keeping bees for the purposes of pollinating his crops. I also promised him guidance and support. Farmers need bees! 

I will let you know when he starts keeping bees...so far no progress yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment